Happy Spring! I have been so spoiled this weekend by the gorgeous weather we are having in the south. Matt and I took a long walk this afternoon, enjoying the sun, the breeze, and all of the beautiful flowers that are exploding in the neighborhood. It's been heavenly. And since we've taken the last couple days to just relax, I've also had plenty of time to play around in the kitchen. This bread recipe was one of my experiments and I couldn't wait to share it with you all.
We always get sucked into the "food porn" shows on the Travel Channel and Food Network. There usually isn't much for a vegan heart to love, but every now and then inspiration strikes. We saw a show awhile back that highlighted a wild rice bread that looked amazing. Since they didn't include recipes I had to improvise, but the results were delicious. Healthy but still sweet, it was perfect for breakfast. Enjoy!
Wild Rice Cranberry Bread
1/2 cup cracked wild rice
zest of one orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1.5 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (loosely packed)
1/2 Cup Apple Sauce
2 Tbs Canola Oil
3/4 Cup Soy Milk
* Preheat oven to 350.
* Combine 1.5 cups water with the orange zest, vanilla extract, and honey. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add wild rice and cook according to package directions.
* When rice is about half cooked, stir in cranberries. Cover pot and continue cooking until rice is tender. (Cook a little longer than normal, so you don't have crunchy rice in your bread!) Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
* Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
* Add brown sugar, apple sauce, oil, and soy milk. Stir until incorporated then fold in the rice mixture.
* Spread batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.